transitioning to a bottle with pumped milk

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Sonya Myles Sonya Myles 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Robyn Elizabeth Carey Robyn Elizabeth Carey 
    Participant

My son is 2 1/2 months old and have been breastfeeding on demand from the beginning. When he was in the hospital he was in the NICU for a few days so I did supplement occasionally which he eagerly accepted. I have also supplemented a few times since then which he was not as eager to do as when he was in the hospital. I was told early on to pump at least once a week and have someone else give him a pumped bottle of milk. I am a single mom and between being sleep deprived and overwhelmed by taking care of a newborn on my own, I had not made time to do what was suggested. Well now 2 1/2 months later, have tried to give him a bottle and I see why I should have kept up with what they told me to do as it’s presenting more than a little challenging to get him to accept the bottle. My questions are is there a particular bottle that you would recommend (I used the small 2 oz pumping bottles and the single use nipples that are given in the hospital), how can I increase my output when pumping (only got less than 2 ounces each time), how much should I be giving him, and any suggestions to help make this whole process easier? Also on a somewhat unrelated note, the bottom half of my boobs are itchy does that mean I have a yeast infection or something? Thank you for your help!!

Profile photo of Sonya Myles Sonya Myles 
    IBCLC

You can try hands on pumping to increase the amount of milk you pump. See this link for more information:
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html

Also see previous posts about increasing milk in general, if you can’t find them, let me know and I can post again.

As for bottles, my personal favourite is the playtex naturalatch with the drop in liner. I find that this one mimics the breast well enough most babies interchange without too much issue. (Are we allowed to name brands here?) It is a wide based nipple which is a little more breast like in baby’s mouth, fills it up more like a breast vs. other nipples that are narrow and don’t fill up the mouth enough. I also like the drop in liner because it helps babies suck. If you have a hard walled bottle babies can just chew milk out of the bottle, if you have a drop in liner, and you push out some of the air, then when babies are chewing, the bottle liner simply expands and no milk comes out. Babies have to suck to get milk out of the bottle, which is more in line with what they do while breastfeeding.

Don’t stress him or yourself out about the bottle. Try half and ounce to an ounce in a bottle, offer it after feeds. If he takes it lovely, if not, then no worries. Try and keep it a bit game like, and try once or twice a day until he figures it out. You don’t need anyone else to give him the bottle, sure it may help if you have someone handy, but the truth is, most of us don’t actually have another pair of hands around when we need them. Don’t let that deter you, simply keep working with him on this, but remember, be patient and don’t stress.

Hope that helps a bit,

Sonya

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

Send us an email and we'll get back to you asap.

Sending

MilkOnTap is the #1 digital breastfeeding resource for mothers and lactation professionals

or

Forgot your details?