Shakeology while Breastfeeding, is it safe?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Lauren Majors, IBCLC Lauren Majors, IBCLC 1 year, 6 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Tamara Deepe Tamara Deepe 
    Participant

I am writing to ask if drinking Shakeology by Beachbody is safe for my baby while breastfeeding. I do not plan to use as a meal replacement, but as an addition to my diet. I used to use regularly before pregnancy and really enjoyed it in my lifestyle.

I am questioning because I was told not to consume while pregnant due to high levels of vitamin A.

I am finding a lot of conflicting advise online and do not trust my family practice doctor’s word as he is not very knowledgeable about lactation support.

Tamara,

It’s great that you are wanting to seek to have great nutrition as a lifestyle, especially during pregnancy and lactation! Additionally, you are correct that any supplements taken should be complementary to and not in replace of a diet that has a wide variety of whole foods close to their natural state in order to gain the most benefit. Usually, that might look similar to a diet that consists of three, well-balanced meals and nutritious snacks as needed per day or several smaller nutritous meals spaced throughout the day in addition to drinking to thirst.

To answer your specific question, we do not recommend or endorse any particular product, nor can we speak to your specific health situation without the larger conversation of your medical history. What we can tell you, however, is what the current recommendations are for Vitamin A for general education purposes here on this forum.

Vitamin A is usually divided into precursors (ex. retinol) and carotenoids (ex. beta-carotene). When looking at the total recommended daily amount, you should take the form of Vitamin A into consideration as each form is processed in the body differently. Most often, Vitamin A is converted into RAE’s (Retinol Activity Equivalents) and so you will need to calculate the conversion based on the type(s) of Vitamin A in order to adequately assess exactly how much total you are recieving. Also, don’t forget to count the food you are consuming, not just your supplements, when considering your total daily intake!

Here are the conversion rates based on type:
    1 IU retinol = 0.3 mcg RAE
    1 IU beta-carotene from dietary supplements = 0.15 mcg RAE
    1 IU beta-carotene from food = 0.05 mcg RAE
    1 IU alpha-carotene or beta-cryptoxanthin = 0.025 mcg RAE

Here are the recommendations during lactation:

Estimated Average Requirement (daily minimum amount needed for lactating mother to meet requirements):
    19-50 Years = 900 ug RAE/day

Recommended Dietary Allowances (recommended daily amount a lactating mother should be recieving per day):
    19-50 Years = 1,300 ug RAE/day

Tolerable Upper Intake Levels (the highest amount a lactating mother should recieve):
    19+ Years = 3,000 mcg RAE (10,000 IU)

Sources:
    National Institutes for Health, Vitamin A: https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminA-HealthProfessional/#en5

A Report on the Panel of Micronutrients, Subcommittees on Upper Reference Levels of Nutrients and of Interpretation of Uses of Dietary Reference Intakes, and the Standing Committee on the Scientific Evaluation of Dietary Reference Intakes, Food and Nutrition Board, Institutes of Medicine (chapter 4): http://www.nap.edu/read/10026/chapter/1

We’d be happy to speak to you personally via the phone or a web consult in order to address your particular situation should you have more questions.

Thanks for reaching out to us at MilkOnTap!
    Lauren

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

Send us an email and we'll get back to you asap.

Sending

MilkOnTap is the #1 digital breastfeeding resource for mothers and lactation professionals

or

Forgot your details?