Pump If Baby Sleeping Long Stretches?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Sonya Myles 2 years, 3 months ago.

• Author
     Vanessa Prinz 
    IBCLC

The post below is borrowed from Breastfeed Chicago! to generate some discussion on our forum. Moms and/or LCs, please share your thoughts!

My LO is 5 weeks old and has been sleeping for 5-8 hour stretches at night (I hope it lasts!). During the day he eats about every 2 hours. Do I need to pump at night to help keep up my supply?

Sonya Myles 
    IBCLC

I would say no…if… Baby is gaining weight at a good rate and she has not ever had supply issues. At the end of the day mom needs to make enough milk for her baby, and sometimes we go a little pump crazy. Just yesterday I saw a mom who was breastfeeding and pumping over 2 litres a day! Over production is not fun for moms.

So we need to have a discussion with mom and see how things have been to this point, and also how her days look at this stage. Discuss work, mom and baby separation and any other factors that may affect her supply. If everything checks out well, she is staying home with her baby or lives in a country blessed with real maternity leave, no supply issues or weight gain concerns, and her baby is always with her or nearby, I would say nope, just enjoy this while it lasts, it may not last for long. Continue to monitor weight and see how things go. If there have been concerns to this point or there are any flags I would discuss other options with her. It seems almost criminal for a mom blessed with a sleeper to interrupt her sleep. Is there another time of day she could pump to help protect her supply. Another thought, was this baby “sleep trained” which requires a whole new discussion.

As you can see, no simple answer at all, but a great opportunity to enter into discussion with mom about how things look and how best to meet her needs.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

Send us an email and we'll get back to you asap.

Sending
or

Forgot your details?