Milk Supply down

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Sonya Myles Sonya Myles 1 year, 9 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Christina Bernard Christina Bernard 
    Participant

My baby is almost 10 weeks old. Breastfeeding has been going well until this past week. She has always been a snacker, falling asleep after about 10 minutes but it always seemed like my breast was near empty. Lately, I am lucky if I can get 5 minutes out of her before she falls asleep. She eventually wakes up and screams. I assume this is because she is hungry. Meanwhile, I have noticed a drastic change in my milk supply. My breasts never feel full and when I pump, I’m lucky if I can get 3 oz from both breasts combined.

I want to continue breastfeeding, but I am really struggling. Any help would be appreciated.

Profile photo of Sonya Myles Sonya Myles 
    IBCLC

When you pump 3 ounces, is it after feeds or in place of feeds? 3 ounces pumped is not a terrible amount at all actually. Your breasts should not be feeling overly hard at this stage, remember, soft breasts make milk at a faster rate than fuller harder breasts.

I wonder how well she is transferring milk? Have you had her assessed for tongue function at all? Sometimes babies tongues don’t function optimally and there are various exercises that can help improve this. Also, using breast compression’s while breastfeeding will help your little one transfer milk a bit better, and may be what she needs to keep herself interested. What has her weight gain been like?

Ways to increase milk supply would include having a nursing honeymoon, go to bed and spend 24 to 48 hours skin to skin and breastfeeding on demand, with your sole focus being breastfeeding. You can also start some lactogenic foods and herbs to help increase supply. Pumping can also help stimulate supply, pump after feeds but don’t be discouraged if you never see a lot of milk in the bottles, you are pumping to increase supply, in a best case scenario your supply increases, your baby takes in more at each feed and the amount you pump never increases, or may even decrease as baby becomes more efficient at breastfeeding. Anything you are pumping can be stored at this point unless your baby is not gaining enough and then should be given back to her.

You can try these things and see if they help. If things don’t improve within a few days I would recommend an appointment with an IBCLC skilled in assessing oral function.

Hope that helps,
    Sonya

Profile photo of Christina Bernard Christina Bernard 
    Participant

Thank you so much for your advice!!

Profile photo of Sonya Myles Sonya Myles 
    IBCLC

:)

Anytime!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

Send us an email and we'll get back to you asap.

Sending
or

Forgot your details?