Low milk supply and clogged ducts

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Sonya Myles Sonya Myles 1 year, 11 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Sylvia Sylvia 
    Founder

From the FB page: My daughter is 4weeks old and I think my milk is drying up frown emoticon im exclusively pumping and I was getting 4-5oz from the left Breast and 3-4oz from the right at each pump and I pumped every time my daughter ate. Now I’m lucky if I get 2.5oz between both breasts at each pump session. That’s not even enough to make her a bottle. I don’t know what to do. any advise? I also suffer from a clogged duct in my right Breast and started taking lecithin yesterday to help with it.

Profile photo of Sonya Myles Sonya Myles 
    IBCLC

Unfortunately this is not an uncommon situation for an exclusively pumping mom. What is happening is that your prolactin levels are starting to drop and your supply is responding. Babies are more deficient at driving a milk supply, and mom’s just don’t love their pumps as much as their babies. This plays a role in the slow down of milk supply. I typically advise moms who plan to exclusively pump to work themselves into over supply in the first few weeks to accommodate this drop.

Is there anyway to get baby back to breast at all?
    Questions to consider: what pump is mom using? Is it a double electric from a good manufacturer? Is mom double pumping when pumping?
    This to help increase supply:
    Lots of skin to skin
    Consider starting some lactogenic foods and herbs. For a list, visit this page:
    http://www.mobimotherhood.org/lactogenic-foods-and-herbs.html
    Consider starting fenugreek and blessed thistle capsules
    Try increasing frequency of pumping, add an additional pumping session in here and there, even if it is a short one
    Try doing some hands on pumping, for more information visit this page:
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html
    It might be worth getting your prolactin levels and thyroid levels checked to make sure they are within a normal
    range for a lactating mom

For the plugged duct:
    Look at a post on the forum re persistent plugged ducts for a detailed procedure on how to clear it (if you can’t
    find it, let me know and I will post it again)
    Massage the area and try using vibration on the area to break down the plug
    Warmth before and cold compresses afterwards can help

Hope those ideas help increase your supply for your little one.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

Send us an email and we'll get back to you asap.

Sending
or

Forgot your details?