Is it too late?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Sonya Myles Sonya Myles 1 year, 9 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Heather Ramsey Heather Ramsey 
    Participant

I had my baby Sept 2. From the beginning I couldn’t get baby to latch. They helped at the hospital but that was the only time I could get my baby to breastfeed with a nipple shield. At home the sheild kept popping off and baby would get way too upset and it just didn’t work. So I exclusively pumped. Instill try to get baby to nurse but it never works. Is it too late now that baby is 7 weeks old?? And any advice would be great. His mouth is small and breasts are rather large if that gives an idea.

Profile photo of Sonya Myles Sonya Myles 
    IBCLC

Nope, it is not too late.

Shields that pop off can be annoying. You could try taping it in place, some moms find that works well. When putting on a shield, you turn it almost inside out (at least half-way inside out) and then place it on the nipple and flip it back, so it sucks in a little of your breast tissue and creates a seal to help it stay on the breast. Sometimes running it under some water helps it stick a bit better as well.

I would recommend spending lots of time skin to skin and even bathing with your son. Spending time together in the bath will hopefully trigger some of his breastfeeding instincts and guide him back to the breast. Don’t force him into breastfeeding though. No one likes to be forced to do anything they don’t want to. Your aim is to trigger some instinctive behavior and have him acting like a newborn again.

Another way that works quite well with babies that have a breast aversion is to spend time “breastfeeding” after a feed. That way he is full, and you know he has eaten. You simply hold him in a natural laid back breastfeeding position and see what he does. See this link for more information on laid back feeding and babies instincts to breastfeed: http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/

I would try without the shield at first, but if after a few days you aren’t seeing progress, try with the shield and see how he goes. You may also want the help of an LC to help guide you through this process,

Hope this helps,
    Sonya

IBCLC

Found this information this morning that may help, obviously not all the information applies to you, but some of it may prove to be useful

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/relactation-and-adoptive-breastfeeding

Profile photo of Katie Daniels Katie Daniels 
    Participant

My daughter was 9 weeks early and until recently wouldn’t take to the breast. She still won’t eat all of her meals via nursing but some is better than none. I’m hoping her nursing times will improve.

IBCLC

I am sure things will improve. Remember that breastfeeding is all about that special time with your baby, so even if your baby is not latching, remember to take the time to tell your little one how wonderful they are, and how much you are enjoying spending the time with them.

IBCLC

I found another story which you might find encouraging

http://www.lalecheleague.org/nb/nbsepoct93p135.html

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

Send us an email and we'll get back to you asap.

Sending
or

Forgot your details?