BRAINSTORM: Video vs. In-Person Consults

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Sonya Myles Sonya Myles 2 years, 1 month ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Vanessa Prinz Vanessa Prinz 
    IBCLC

Hi everyone!

As we get closer to launching the video consults, I started thinking about how my approach might be different in a video consult versus in-person and was hoping we could do some brainstorming together on what aspects might be different and how we would address these. Here are a couple off the top of my head to get us started:

Difference: When latching a baby in-person, we can be hands-on in helping mom latch baby. Via-video, we’ll need to walk mom through it.

Thoughts: A breast model might be a helpful tool in demonstrating how to grasp the breast/latch the baby. This is something you could practice in the mirror to see how the teaching would come across in a video. Other thoughts?

Difference: In-person, to assess milk transfer and/or mom’s milk supply, I rely heavily on my scale to measure what exactly the baby took in. Via-video, to assess milk transfer, we’ll have to rely more on baby’s body language.

Thoughts: We may suggest she visit her pediatrician for weigh-ins, possibly rent a scale in some cases (though that can make moms crazy!) or have her pump afterwards to measure how much she has remaining in the breast (though that can indicate either baby did a good job draining OR baby isn’t getting much of anything so it couldn’t be the only measure obviously. Other ideas?

Some other differences you can think of?

Thanks for your input!
    Vanessa

Profile photo of Sylvia Sylvia 
    Founder

Thanks for starting this topic, Vanessa!

Would putting together a video on “How to position your baby for breastfeeding” help? That could be one of the first resources we provide.

Yes I agree! So many times I physically help a mom latch the baby so I was thinning is using a breast demo, much like Ive seen at the breastfeeding conferences. Secondly, I also rely on a scale but looking at the whole picture will help. Getting a good thorough history of mom and baby. Also I like Jack Newmans approach in watching for long draws and chin pauses. He’s got some excellent videos and Maybe we can link to that also. Definitely a lathing videos as well as positioning would be good. Having them follow up with the ped can help get an officially weight to keep track of. Pumping after also is great to help mom empty and increase supply. She can feed that to baby as well after feeds if needed. Reminding the mom sometimes she won’t get a lot is important as the visual of the volume can cause more stress, which can lead to difficulty letting down or decreased output. Side note- I also have a video on infant sucking training and post frenotomy such stengthening.

IBCLC

Great ideas, Kirsten! I hadn’t thought about videos for demonstrations. I think especially short video clips would be great! Tactical technical question: Is there a way to stream the videos onto the screen so both the IBCLC and mom can watch it simultaneously? Or would we have her just pull it up on her computer and watch her watch it sorta thing? Just curious how that might work. My friend Robin IBCLC in San Diego has a great YouTube selection of videos called DIY Breastfeeding. That would be a great resource for us to pull quick clips on various topics. https://www.youtube.com/user/DIYbreastfeeding

Thanks, Vanessa

Profile photo of Sylvia Sylvia 
    Founder

@vanessaprinz, the question about both being able to watch the video at the same time is a great one! I’ll check with the telemedicine platform and see what they can do. I know that there’s file sharing, but I’m not sure that you can screen share the video. But you might.

Thanks for the great video resources too!

IBCLC

@sylvia, Yes, I like the idea of the positioning video(s). Thanks for checking into the technical question!

Profile photo of Sonya Myles Sonya Myles 
    IBCLC

I might be on the wrong track here, but one thing I have found when I do skype consults is that I need to make sure I am in a private space with a locked door, so that one of my family members doesn’t inadvertently walk in. Privacy for this mom is key, and ensuring she has a safe video space to breastfeed is important.

I generally use a demonstration doll and wear a tighter t-shirt, and model the doll on me. I find that if mom listens to my whole description, and then we work on it step by step that that is helpful. One of my concerns with generic videos is that I might approach things slightly differently, and feel that if I am saying things in a slightly different way to a video, mom might see that as conflicting. Is it possible to have a number of different videos showing different positions and tricks, so we can recommend the ones most similar to what we teach?

I am also hesitant to offer general advice on specific things to mothers. As an example, pumping and supplementing EBM to babies might be needed in some cases, but not in all cases. If we have a video up showing that, will mothers feel that they should be doing that? I worry that by adding to the work load of breastfeeding unnecessarily we may land up shooting ourselves in the foot. Most mothers should not need to pump and supplement. Babies should be followed anyway by the HCP’s for growth and such, and our service will not replace that at all. Perhaps a video on how to tell if there is good transfer (such as the ones by Stanford University) would be good, but even those don’t replace the need for a periodic weight check by a HCP, I am sure we have all seen babies who have good output, great behaviour and still aren’t gaining what they should, the “happy to go hungry” babies.

With the videos, is it possible that we have basic videos accessible to all mothers, but ones that detail an intervention only available to mothers who have had a consult, and been advised to follow xyz advice? Can we send them a private link to those videos? That way we can avoid all mothers adding to their workload by doing things they think they should simply because they don’t know better.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

Send us an email and we'll get back to you asap.

Sending
or

Forgot your details?