Baby Arching & In Pain

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Kirsten Haroldson, RN, IBCLC 2 years, 3 months ago.

• Author
     Vanessa Prinz 
    IBCLC

Just sharing another Lactnet post for discussion. Feel free to chime in if you have any ideas to share with the group, thanks!

—–Original Message—–
    Sent: Monday, July 13, 2015 7:59 AM
    To: LACTNET@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM
    Subject: Arching Baby

PTP: I have been trying to help a family who have an infant born at 38 and 3
    days; induced due to PUH and IUGR. Birth weight was 5lbs 6oz. He received
    22cal formula for the first couple of days until her milk came in.  He is
    now 4 weeks old and has seemingly been in pain off and on. Initially,
    thought he needed time to grow and get stronger.  He arches his back a lot
    and has long bouts of crying. Parents can distinguish between cries and know
    when it is just gas or pain. I have been to the house 3 times; only able to
    observe one 10 minute nursing with .5oz transfer. He gets stressed when
    feedings are initiated by breast or bottle, though bottle less so. His
    output and weight are great because parents tend to him constantly, feeding
    small amounts during crying jags and anywhere from 3-4oz when he isn’t
    crying. They have just started probiotics and eliminated dairy.  He has an
    ULT and Type II tongue tie. Mom has over supply due to a lot of pumping. His
    feeds are mixed (not high lactose) because of all of the bottle feeding. He
    doesn’t spit up much.  I have advised family to discuss possible underlying
    cause with pediatrician and referred to a Frenulum clinic for evaluation.

I am hoping that great minds of this community can help me figure out other
    possibilities for this baby’s behavior. I am very concerned about the
    exhaustion both physically and mentally that this family is experiencing. I
    am also fearful that this baby will become completely adverse to nursing and
    even eating in general.

Thank you to all who responded to previous post about possible bacterial
    infection. I haven’t heard back from the mother yet about her results but
    fingers are crossed. ?

Wendy Jordan, BS, IBCLC
    Private Practice LC
    http://www.seacoastlactation.com

Sarah McGann 
    Participant

This happened to a friend of mine – it turned out her son had a food allergy, so she cut dairy and soy, and he got better! She stopped breastfeeding at 6 months so didn’t do the tests to find out which of the two was an issue. If your client wants to commit to breastfeeding for a long time, she may want to do an elimination diet with the help of her pediatrician.

This sounds like it may be a few things. first, with the over supply, moms can have a fast let down. Does he nurse before every bottle feed? He may get an initial burst of forceful milk and be unhappy about this. he can also get more gas due to the increased air from the flow and any popping off because he cannot handle it. if this is the case, laying back or side lying to decrease the pull of gravity to make it faster. Also, try unlatching him as soon as he starts gulping and let your milk spray or hand express for 20-30 seconds into a burp rag, then latch him back on. burp him half way through each breast and at the end.

the bottle may also be flowing too fast, so using paced feeding techniques with a slow flow nipple may help when he received the bottle.

The second issue most likely is the ULT and LLT. These can definitely interfere with the latch, causing too much intake of air and decreased transfer amounts. having this evaluated and possibly corrected will greatly benefit breastfeeding. Make sure to ask about tongue stretching exercises for post recovery.

Checking into food allergies should also be considered, especially if the above does not seem to help.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

Send us an email and we'll get back to you asap.

Sending
or

Forgot your details?